- Read the Prompt
- Read the Quote
- Read the Prompt again.
- Think for 1 minute (don't write).
- Brainstorm. Focus, focus, focus your complementary examples and connect these specific examples to BIG CONCEPTS. Organize. (2 minutes)
- Write (20 min)
- Intro Paragraph:
- Thesis plus preview of your examples (Think DEVIL'S ADVOCATE--knock out objection to your thesis in your intro).
- 3 body paragraphs. Topic sentence plus 4-7 sentences of concrete detail.
- 2 body paragraphs is acceptable, but not advisable--write as much as you can to demonstrate the mastery of your tipic.
- Transition between paragraphs.
- LAST 2 MINUTES: Fix errors and upgrade vocabulary--(replace to be/to have with stronger verbs).
- Check out The Critical Reader: Essay Tips
Writing Section (multiple choice)
The Fist of No Error (see above and sidebar)
- Subject/Verb agreement (number)
- Tense (verb tense and aspect)
- Pronoun (number, case, antecedent)
- Adjective/Adverb (modifiers; infinitive/gerund)
- Diction (correct word ex: affect/effect;phrasal verb & correct preposition)
- Misplaced Modifiers (modifying phrases and clauses)
- "Patterns": comparison, parallelism, list made of similar parts of speech
- Conjunctions: coordinating, subordinating, correlative ; also relative pronoun clauses
The Critical Reader: Complete SAT Grammar Rules or General Grammar Tips (updated 1/25/2013)
Identifying Sentence Errors