A Washington-based educational institute says the number of university students who study abroad is on the rise. The Institute of International Education reports a 60 percent increase in the number of students studying outside their native country since the year 2000. VOA's Laurel Bowman has more.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Friday, November 20, 2009
Mrs. John G. Lee - Farmington, Connecticut
From the 1950s series, League of Women Voters president Mrs. John G. Lee tells how star-gazing with her father eventually led to her desire to help make the world a better place for humankind, and honor the worth and dignity of each individual.
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Monday, November 16, 2009
Remarks by President Obama at Town Hall Meeting in Shanghai (by question)
- Opening Remarks
- Question 1--World Expo
- Question 2--Exchange Views
- Question 3--Harmony and Diversity
- Question 4--China and Taiwan
- Question 5--The Nobel Peace Prize and World Peace
- Question 6--The Firewall, Twitter, and Internet Freedom
- Question 7--Education and Success
- Question 8--Terrorism and Afghanistan
VOA News Special Report:
President Obama in Asia
All VOA News stories and videos related to the President Barack Obama's first Asia trip began November 12, taking him to Japan, Singapore, China and South Korea. The historic 10-day journey includes bilateral and multilateral meetings, a town hall-style meeting in China and a visit with U.S. troops stationed in South Korea.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Saturday, November 14, 2009
- Thirteen Reasons Why Jay Asher
- The Secret Garden Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Ender's Game Orson Scott Card
- Chosen: A House of Night Novel Kristin Cast
- Hunted: A House of Night Novel Kristin Cast
- Untamed: A House of Night Novel Kristin Cast
- The Wish List Eoin Colfer
- The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins
- Prey Michael Crichton
- Just Listen Sarah Dessen
- The Clique Lisi Harrison
- My Sister's Keeper Jodi Picoult
- The Hot zone Richard Preston
- Uglies Scott Westerfeld
- Pretties Scott Westerfeld
- Specials Scott Westerfield
Friday, November 13, 2009
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Monday, November 9, 2009
WH.gov: Lin-Manuel Miranda Performs at the White House Poetry Jam
Saturn Smith: Which Founding Father is on your Mixtape?
"At a May 12 evening of Poetry and Spoken Word performances at the White House, Broadway writer Lin-Manuel Miranda performed a piece from his upcoming hip-hop concept album, The Hamilton Mixtape. The White House put video of the event online last week, and... it's absolutely worth 4:27 of your time..." (more)
Friday, November 6, 2009
● If a section runs more than five minutes over, students won’t receive a score, and a makeup is required. If a section runs more than five minutes short, a makeup is offered but not required. Once the offer is accepted, the original score is canceled.
● You are allowed to bring snacks and drinks, but keep them out of sight. You can reach for them only during breaks, which are given hourly.
● Desks must have at least 12 by 15 inches of writing surface.
● Chairs must be four feet apart; no partitions or study carrels allowed.
● If there’s a problem with your desk or seating, say something as soon as you get in the room. If a problem emerges while taking the test, ask the proctor kindly to make it stop.
● Once notified of a problem, a proctor is required to send a report to the Educational Testing Service. If you feel your score was affected, senda complaint by the Wednesday after the test day to firstname.lastname@example.org. But the score won’t be changed. The best you can hope for is a refund or free retake.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Monday, November 2, 2009
I.H.T. Special Report: International Education
Special Report: International Education
M.B.A.’s Guide Socially Concerned Entrepreneurs By NAZANIN LANKARANI, NYTimes
Business school students have turned toward courses in social entrepreneurship.
What value is an international focus for a business degree?