Before the test:
- Eat breakfast
- Bring Student ID
- Arrive early--use the spare time to encourage yourself and your friends to do your best.
- Read the Prompt
- Read the Quote
- Read the Prompt again.
- Think for 1 minute (don't write).
- Brainstorm. Focus, focus, focus your examples. Organize. (2 minutes)
- Write (20 min)
- Intro Paragraph:
- Thesis plus preview of your examples
- 3 body paragraphs. Topic sentence plus 3-4 sentences of concrete detail.
- Transition between paragraphs.
- Fix errors and upgrade vocab (2 min).
- The Fist of No Error (see sidebar)
- POE (process of elimination)
- Read the blurb (who? what? where? when?)
- Skim for information
- Mark-up the passage as per the Questions
- Read the passage critically (why? how?)
- Answer the questions via POE